is a traditional rural village (with a population of 640 inhabitants - source Wikipedia.gr from the national census of 2011) surrounded by olive groves (its main wealth) and rough almost deserted hills, in a landscape of sure tourist interest.
To be seen the springs of pure water (with this is irrigated the cultivation of the valley), the beautiful Orthodox Church in the town center dedicated to Agios Iorgos, to the Panagìa (Virgin Mary) Ipapandì and to the Crucifix, and the the picturesque Gorges of the Valley of Death (leading to Kato Zakros).
In you can find the pharmacy, two mini-markets, two cafeterias with fast free internet wireless connection, a good restaurant (the "Napoleon", which is open all year and offers an interesting traditional cuisine), a tasty pastry shop (managed by a local all-female cooperative), a generic store, a souvenir shop with local products, a hairdresser, two hardware stores, two garages (valid for emergency repairs), a gas station and a small "hotel".
Inevitable the Kafenia, the traditional Greek bars, meeting places for all the elders of the village, formerly reserved for men, where time always seems to have stopped, between card and tavlis games (the Cretan backgammon), dishes of meze (small appetizers), glasses of raki (the local brandy) or Retsina (flavored wine) and endless discussions on every possible topic, has three, all located in the central square.
Other distances from the center of are:
- 600 mt. from the entrance of the European path E4 in the direction towards Ziros
- 1,7 km. from the entrance of the European path E4 in the direction towards Kato Zakros in the section through the Gorge of Death
- 8,4 km. from the beach of Kato Zakros
- 8,8 km. from the Minoan Villa of Kato Zakros
- 9,2 km. from the beaches of Xerocampos
- 20,1 km. from Kouremenos beach (with 2 windsurfing centers)
- 26,5 km. from the palm grove and to the beach of Vai
- 42,3 km. from Makrigialos and to the boarding for the island of Koufonissi
- 68,7 km. from Ierapetra and to the boarding for the island of Chrissì
- 161 km. from the Heraklion airport